Thursday, August 23, 2012

Miles.

This week, the little bug and I have put in some serious miles. Miles in and out of the car.



The bug and I began logging our miles this week like daddy. With our house still being on the market, I accepted an opportunity to look after a family friend's kiddos a few mornings a week. Hello, to earlier mornings and rush hour traffic. Hello, to sweet faces and new adventures.

The first day I was unsure of what to expect. It has been awhile since I've had to make the morning drive to be somewhere. I felt like I was on edge the whole time as it was stopandgo stopandgo. MC was not quite sure why she had to be in the car for so long after she had just woken up, I'm sure. { I could tell by the grunts and demands from the back. } However, FisherPrice Sing Along CDs have been our saving grace. She loves to sing what she can or clap and move her hands. Add some snacks and some water (Wa Wa) and we're good to go. Then, on the way home she is out like a light in five minutes- tuckered from all of the play and excitement.
If any of you out there are reading this and have had to commute with littles- what are your go -to's?





On some of the mornings, I am lucky to miss the big "rush", and as I returned to the thick of it this morning, I embraced the drive with a new attitude. (Remembering from a month or so ago that I do not want to be controlled by fear) So, a version of this song started playing on the radio...and, I started thinking and praying for the people in the cars around me. The ones that would immediately change lanes without indication, the ones weaving in and out of lanes, the ones leaving a safer than safe distance from the car ahead of them. The patience that I am now realizing that I have more of than most, came through. Peace came over me and I did not think of any of the number of things that could go wrong on a longer commute. I began to wonder about how many of these people I will pass and "travel with" on a frequent basis. Such a crazy thing that you might be next to someone over and over and never meet them.

To you on the road- may you know that you are the Lord's treasure on your drive. He loves you and wants you to feel safe in His arms.



As teachers and students returned to their own journeys this week, it was a bit odd not being with them. There is part of my heart that misses the start of the year and the excitement it brings. I loved organizing, labeling, and planning fun things for the bright and eager faces that would greet me at the start of a new year. I never could sleep the night before the first day.


But, this new gig and journey is pretty awesome. The miles might seem tiring on some days, but the things that we are doing are already creating wonderful memories. I am still getting somewhat of a "teacher fix" by the ways that we are playing and learning each day. Here are a few of our adventures from these first few days together:



Paint with water while little A sleeps.

Our grasshopper home for "Camo" the one we caught today in the backyard. They have an amazing backyard for nature hunts and exploring!

Mr. Camo himself.

I love logging miles for time with these kiddos and am honored that I was asked to do so. Plus, MC loves her new friends. Let the good times roll!



2 comments:

  1. proud of you for doing this! I know MC AND those kiddos are so blessed by your presence!! :) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, she definitely looks like she's having fun! Good luck on keeping her entertained during those stop-and-go drives. ;) Wish I could give you some advice but I have no experience with that.

    Hope your new adventures are still going great!

    [ This is April Bridges, btw ;) ]

    ReplyDelete