Monday, March 4, 2013

Sewn with Love.


Flashback....
My mom made me take a sewing class in middle school telling me that I would use it someday. I reluctantly agreed and made it through, despite the frustrations along the way.

It interested me by the time the class was over, but with no sewing machine, I didn't pick it up again until college. A few of my sorority sisters worked at a place called Suzy's on campus corner. The shop's specialities were appliqué, embroidery, and other sewing necessities made and sold for campus groups and your everyday person. With flexible hours, a friendly family, and the opportunity to sit and talk with friends while I worked, I jumped at the chance. {Not to mention that I was like most college students, broke.}

Since then I have developed a love for sewing that I never thought I'd have all those years ago. So, once again, thanks Mom! You were right. ;)


When I left my job last year to be a full time mommy I was hoping that I would get a chance to do more sewing and crafting. It gives me a chance to put a little bit of the love and care I have for a person into something special. Plus, I love the chance to be creative with a usable end result. Not to mention it tends to be pretty cost effective- another plus.

Now that the holidays and other recent celebrations are over, I can share some of my most recent works of heart {pardon the cheesy pun}. I like to think that they are sew cute. This time, pun intended. {By the way, if I ever sell anything I make, I am definitely calling my business that. So, dibs to anyone out there thinking it.}

Most of what I make is from tutorials online {aka Pinterest}, but I do try to think up a few things here and there.


I tried to make as many Christmas gifts as I could think up this past year. They included: a camera strap for my mother in law, a scarf and tablet cover for my mom, fleece bags of rice for sore muscles and sinuses {not pictured}, and a car garbage bag for the hubs {requested by him, ha!}.


Camera strap tutorial here. Fits most Nikon or Canon straps.




For the Nexus 7 cover I just modified a Kindle book-style cover from the tutorial at One Pearl Button.





For the OU scarf I just printed a template for the logo and
 added some pre-made flowers along with a homemade one.
I then sewed them both to a store bought scarf to bump it up a notch.




Car trash bag tutorial at A Ditchin' Time Quilts.


However, the most fun projects recently have been baby shoes. I can't wait to see some sweet feet in these little slip-ons. I wish I could take credit for the pattern, but it was a gem of a find here.

For Jovie, October 2012.


For Paxton, coming March 2013.


For Amberly Grace, coming March 2013.

For Eloise Marie, coming late March or April 2013. 

1 comment:

  1. Those shoes are too cute! I have a sewing machine but I definitely don't have the skills for making something like that.

    ReplyDelete