Saturday, April 19, 2014

An Author Attempt {for now}.

A piece of my past came into my life lately and it got me thinking and I felt led to share...

Some of you that know me well, know that there has been a part of me for a long time that has wanted to be an author. I love to write and always have from the time I could...whether it is journaling, poetry, stories, letters, blogs...

Anyway, my heart has been stirring for this more and more lately, and I am just waiting for something to enter my brain to get me going. I would love one day to be published, but I just don't know in what form that will come or when.

So, until then, I thought I would share a piece of writing that mysteriously showed up as I was going through things one day. The timing of this piece reentering my life was a bit perfect actually. I have recently been consuming the books by Khaled Hosseini. I started in backward order- I read And the Mountains Echoed first and just recently finished A Thousand Splendid Suns, which means The Kite Runner will be picked up shortly. I love the way he tells a story and I love that I am learning about a different side of the Afghan culture than what we often hear about in our media. Beauty can be found in the hardest and most painful places and so it was only fitting that this poem found me again. And, on this eve of not only the promise of Easter, but a painful memory in Oklahoma history, it seemed only right to share some of that beauty and strength that can come when you least expect it.

Unbreakable Tie
by Danielle Porter (at the time :)  as I was a sophomore in high school)

The older sister with worried look 
Upon her face
A protection for her brother
From all harm
She holds him in her loving arms
Tears about to stream from her face
She pretends to be strong
When in reality she is just
As scared as he

A fence separates them 
From the outside world
The word refugee has become all
To familiar to their ears
Safety is something
They long to have
No holidays will come for this pair
At least not like the ones that you and I know

The boy clings to his older sister
His hair hanging down past his eyes
He has never known anything as close as her love
This camp has been his only home 
For who knows how long

Inside each innocent and sweet soul
There's a crying heart
That only wants to be loved and secure

The only sense of security the brother and sister have
Is the feeling they have when they are 
Embracing each other
It will be this way forever and ever
Because the bond between a brother and sister
Stays
It stays because unlike the world
It is unbreakable

Photo courtesy of  Hikyaku.com


No comments:

Post a Comment