Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bittersweet...but, mostly sweet.


Technically this post should probably be entitled..."A Year of Firsts: This Week's Episode: Father's Day", but I just felt that the title above is truly what I felt about this next milestone in our family's life together.

Most of you that read this probably know that my dad passed away my senior year of high school, 10 years ago this November. It was hard in more ways than I can say and some days are still better than others. My journey of grieving will never truly be over--and I've come to accept that. We shared many things...personality traits, eyebrows, conversations, and occasionally a day in June. My birthday is June 21 and every so often it falls on Father's Day.

As anyone who has lost someone knows, each holiday brings a bit of apprehension. Thoughts of...What will this day be like without them? Will I be sad? Is it okay to be happy? What would they be doing? This Father's day brought with it some of that same bitter, but also an overwhelming since of sweetness.
I got to celebrate my husband and the amazing father and man he is. (How lucky I am that he chose me to be his wife.)
I got to celebrate my daughter for making him a daddy.
I got to celebrate her Oupa and Papa.
I got to celebrate the memory of my father in my little girl's baby blue eyes.


The day started with a cup of coffee in the mug I made my daddy when I was 3. I imagined him enjoying it with me, helping me prepare breakfast.


Got to love the little kid drawings!

It continued with chocolate chip waffles, the new daddy picking out the little bug's outfit for the day....

Making her love music already ;)

house church, and some lovely swimming topped off with a good 'ole South African braai with the family. (The good 'ole is the Okie touch)

When these two smile at each other, my heart melts.


Such wonderful memories with such special men. Adam, my rock, my best friend, and my dream for a prince in reality...Bobby, the gentle and loyal Papa, his love for us just oozes...and Jeremy, the wise and loving Oupa, who, with his generous spirit is one of the biggest softies I know. ;)

And, even though my daddy was not with us physically, I know he was there...as I said before, in my daughter's baby blues. The same baby blues I prayed for when I found out I was pregnant with her. Those eyes are a constant reminder that he is always there to celebrate with us. And that makes the bitter taste all the sweeter.

I love you, daddy and I know that you would love Mackenzie and her daddy too!


No comments:

Post a Comment