Wednesday, July 6, 2011

June 21 - the first day of summer!





Birthdays are something so wonderful. I mean, who doesn't enjoy having a day devoted to just themselves? To be celebrated. To receive gifts. To have people purposefully contact you because they remembered that it was your special day. It is the one day out of the year when it is truly okay to be narcissistic...and I'll admit-- I love to play mine up and soak in every minute of it. It started at an early age when I loved telling everyone that my birthday was June 21, the first day of summer (an unofficial holiday, don't you know?) and has continued in the casual reminders to my closest family and friends once the month of June approaches every year. :)

This year I was truly spoiled in more ways than one. You would have thought it was a milestone birthday-- not just 27. But, maybe 27 is somewhat of a milestone...a bridge to the late 20's? A reminder that 30 is around the corner? Hmm...the big 2-7.

The day's festivities were absolutely perfect. I took a walk with my sweet family, had breakfast at Jimmy's Egg followed by some Starbuck's, lunch at home and a walk around Campus Corner, and dinner with my brother at Victoria's in Norman (Mmmm...lasagna rolls!!!). I got to spend it with some of my most favorite people and I couldn't have been happier. Plus-- the week got even better as I got to celebrate with family and friends at Pachinko Parlor for sushi, BJ's, and Jazz in June. It was wonderful to extend the celebrations and just enjoy the company of so many people that are special to me.


Baby Mackenzie and Addison checking each other out at Jazz in June.

Another reason why I felt spoiled was the sheer generosity around me of gifts, and thoughtful gifts at that. My husband remembered details from our conversations and gathered up some wonderful surprises, my brother got me two books that I had mentioned I wanted to read, my mom took me on a mini shopping trip where I got to buy some clothes, my in-laws brought me a watch and some fudge from London, and my wonderful friend group surprised me with some money for a jogging stroller- just because I had mentioned my desire for one. Wow! How lucky am I?

And even though I will love these treasures to pieces...the true treasure came in the feelings behind each one. I was truly overwhelmed and I don't know what I did to deserve the love that I felt on my special day. So -- to any and all that made my birthday extra special this year, I thank you, and say....why don't we do this again next year? ;)
sweets from my sweetie!

1 comment: