Monday, July 11, 2011

A Year of Firsts: This Week's Episode: Happy Birthday, America!


The 4th of July. Independence Day. America's Birthday.
Whatever you like to call it--it makes no difference, as long as you can absorb how special the day truly is.

It is not just a day for fireworks, BBQ, parades and watermelon...it is a day to celebrate so many freedoms and liberties that we have the privilege to enjoy.
How lucky are we that we can be outspoken, quiet, unique, conforming, critical, complacent, happy, sad, religious, nonreligious, and every other synonym/antonym combo in the book? We all have our different views-- and whether or not you agree or disagree with the means, we got these freedoms because of the sacrifice of so many individuals.

Growing up, I have so many good memories of the 4th of July. Trips to St. Louis with fireworks under the arch, popping hundreds (literally hundreds) of dollars of our own fireworks at the Perkins farm just because my dad refused to stop being a kid at heart, fireworks in Bricktown, swimming, etc., etc...It has always been one of my favorite holidays because of the overall feel of unity in our nation for at least a day, and plus...who doesn't like to light stuff on fire and watch it blow up? (Without hurting someone that is!)

And although this year looked a little bit different, it still had much of the same and I wouldn't have traded it for the world. We had a little bit of it all...

A parade where we got to see Adam do one of his first official gigs with his new job.

Swimming and BBQ.

Fireworks on the roof after our sweet bug went to sleep for the night. And, even though I freaked out from being on such a steep slant-- I loved every minute of seeing all of the fireworks around the metro with my sweetie. (I literally scooted on my booty up the roof and down it--complete with me breaking down in tears at the end...neat.)

I can't wait to share more of these holidays with our sweet Mackenzie - I just know she will love all of the fireworks and pizzazz that this holiday has to offer!



No comments:

Post a Comment