Friday, June 15, 2012

One door closes as another one opens...

School has been over for a couple of weeks now, {In case you hadn't noticed the increase of school-aged children out and about} and it is slowly starting to sink in that the door to that part of my life has closed for the time being.

The end of school with my third graders was all around pretty wonderful. Once the testing in April was over-- I felt like I finally had free reign to do whatever my heart desired {within instructional reason, of course} and to soak up every last bit of them. I wanted to live it up and make them remember their last bit of third grade every bit as much as I will. We dug down deep into the roots of Oklahoma and why our state is so special, we visited the pyramids of Ancient Egypt - exploring mummies and other treasures, we read books outside and had an extra recess or two...topping it all off with a pajama palooza at the end complete with memory pillowcases and books. I wish I had paused to take a pic or two of our fun, but the truth is--I was right there in the thick of it with them. I do, however, have this little gem to keep, along with all of the other memories in my heart. 

My love language is words of affirmation, so this made my cup runneth over. Big time.




After the last kiddo left and I wiped away the bittersweet tears, it was time to pack up 5 years worth of classroom memories. Files, books, games, mementos, and other things that will carry me through shall I return to teaching one day,  got placed carefully in boxes. The process was easier than I thought in some ways and harder in others. At first, I was unsure of what to leave behind {since we are moving houses too, I don't want to lug around things that will be not too hard to replace}, but then the process picked up the pace as I reflected and worked with a focus on what wonderful things are to come from this closed door...

Behind the Door
Here are some more bits and pieces from around my room and the school, treasures and snapshots of a place that was my second home. 
A canvas that I made, what a wonderful sentiment to remember.

A class flag from one of my 5 groups. This particular group was called the "Porter Hound Steaks"...they were with me the year I got married and my name changed from Porter to Basset. The name fit. 


These pictures of my office were how clean I wish it would have ALWAYS been!! Needless to say, it wasn't always a priority.










My school's mascot is the Jefferson Dragons. This is a wood carved version of our Jeffy.




My sweet school. What a wonderful community you are- within your walls great things have happened and what great things there are to come!

And as I once again reflect on that closed door-- I think yet again of the wonderful door that has just opened. And, take a look at what is on the other side of it, waiting and counting on me.









As a friend once told me, I can't freeze time while I figure everything out to be able to stay at home. The bug won't be a baby forever and I won't be able to get back these years. For this, I am truly grateful for closed doors, but know that I couldn't have gotten to this next one without what was behind the first.

1 comment:

  1. so excited for the memories to come with your little bug! how fun, you have so much yet to come!!

    ReplyDelete